Sunday, February 1, 2009

Prelude

It is February 1, and it is the morning, and like last year at this time I have a cold. Also: no ideas, or plan on how to get through this.
I do know that I will be developing, or discovering, or falling into, a new process for songwriting. Last year I began with a single text document in which I poured every lyric idea I had, and let them all sit there, occasionally adding to or redoing some. Eventually this was the source for most of the songs I ended up recording.
On the music side almost everything was literally written on the day it was posted, using what seems to be my only method: come up with a chord progression or note sequence first, then speak the lyrics over it, and rerecord the lyrics over and over till they gained a melody.
It was time-consuming and inefficient. Something needs to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment