Saturday, February 9, 2013

Midnight in the Garden of Clean and Sober

The title popped into my head. I don't know why. It gave me some entertaining imagery: finding myself in some place that was unfamiliar and unwished for.

At this point I have to accept the fact that I have a system for writing songs. It's not a good system, but it's mine. It goes:
1. Have some lyrics, sort of
2. Have some musical sequence - chords, riff, shape...could be anything.
3. Record some tracks more or less blindly attempting to stick to (2)
4. Find unexpected inspiration during the process which lends color to the song.
5. Begin chanting lyrics over the instrumental tracks.
6. Repeat until melody forms. If necessary:
7. Make melodies mathematically by imagining notes in the chords, or not in the chords, depending on my state of mind.
8. It's finished.

So this song did start out as a simply strummed guitar chords. Next came the staccato thing. At the moment I decided, out of the blue, to add strings, the song became whatever it is now.

This is probably the only time I have ever written lyrics with someone else.
The chorus melody was inspired by Terry Taylor. You know, the leader of Daniel Amos.
I referenced a horrible song.
I broke one of my rules in this song, using a simile instead of metaphor.
I thought a lot about the garden where Digory goes to fetch the apple in "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S. Lewis.
The second guitar is also acoustic, just given a treatment in Logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment