Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hard Fall

This song had a funny evolution. I began with an early (pre-psychedelia) sixties pop feel, with that I-IV-I cadence which is impossible to describe in words but I could hum it for you and you'd know exactly what I mean.
Then as I started to meld the words to the song I decided I wanted it to sound like The Clash were performing it. So I learned I can't sing like Joe Strummer, not by a long shot, but I'm even worse at trying to sound like Mick Jones doing backing vocals. I had to bury that in the mix because it just didn't work, which was a shame because I liked it in concept.
I wrote the words moments after falling pretty hard while skateboarding. As I lay there in the driveway clutching my leg in agony I thought "Hm, this could be the subject of a song". And indeed I did break my calcaneous back in August and now have a fine plate in my foot to show for it.
There's a metaphorical verse as well, plus a bridge, but I didn't have time to cut and paste to lengthen the song so I kept it to two verses.
The only technical details to note on this song is that I used Driskill #12 (the more trebly guitar) and the Redwood Chapin Hawk (the mellower rhythm guitar).

No comments:

Post a Comment