Thursday, February 24, 2011

New Table

I looked through some lyric fragments I had from past years and found these words.

They are:


I’m not exactly thrilled 
They’re gonna raise my taxes
I feel like I pay my share
Some people believe
We’re in a brave new world now
Honestly I don’t care
I’m just a self-serving ass
Not invited to the new table
I am sarcastic and crass
Critical whenever I’m able  
I don’t like the state
Of music sports or the movies
Celebrity magazines   
Every day it’s dumbed down
Drinking vodka martinis 
On a trampoline

I must have come up with them during the last political campaign. Not being at all politically aligned myself I haven't had a strong opinion on elections for ages now but when a candidate's campaign seems to consistently proclaim "I am going to do nothing that benefits you and harm you in any way I can, Peter," I do get just a tiny bit disturbed - I feel just a bit left out, you know? So there's that floating around in the song, plus all the ways I could think of someone else might criticize me, accurately or not, and then some complaining thrown in for good measure. It's meant to sound obnoxiously self-pitying and snotty at the same time.
Melodically I put in a few touches inspired by John Lennon. I have no idea what it ends up sounding like once filtered through my synaptic processes.

No comments:

Post a Comment