Thursday, February 24, 2011

Perfection

In an effort to put up one last thing before I went away I made a rough take into a final. One mic records guitar and vocal, and a few cuts and pastes were necessary to make the measures come out right in the end.
You'd never believe the way I came up with this song. It was after mixing a great martini, one that in my mind was as close to perfection as could be. Hard to believe, but true.
So forget about listening to the song and make one of your own:
2 measures Hendrick's gin
1/3 measure Dolin's dry vermouth
half a drop of orange bitters. Seriously, as little as you can add.
Stir
Serve with olive - don't use a blue cheese or jalapeno stuffed one this time.

I think I have also made a discovery that vermouth doesn't mix well with vodka. I don't drink vodka martinis myself, but I think the reason for the whole nonsensical "very dry martini" notion is that vermouth doesn't settle in with vodka at all. Most vodka martini drinkers just want a cold glass of vodka and a free pair of olives anyway.
A dry martini is one made with dry vermouth. A sweet martini would be made with sweet red vermouth, but I've never seen anybody make one. "Very dry" is meaningless.

Postscript: after writing this entry there is now an add for olives on my blog page! Those clever folks at Google - they work fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment