Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cover Time! Divine Love

I liked Lynda Arnold's song from the moment I heard it. The hymn-like simplicity of it, the brightness of the voices and the piano. I think it was always in the back of my mind that if the Song a Day crowd ever decided to do covers this would be my top choice.
I chose "Pants" as my first cover because I wasn't sure how to approach "Divine Love" for a long time. It wouldn't do to completely reimagine it in some odd style. That might verge on irony and I'm not into irony.
Eventually I just heard myself singing it: I was probably half-awake or something of the sort.
The main instrument is a tremolo-heavy Rhodes. I was dismayed to find it disappeared when heard on some systems.
On the other hand I was pleased that in spite of low vocals and dark instruments the final mix didn't seem too muddy.
It's a beautiful song and again I was pleased to find the composer had liked the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment