Friday, February 10, 2012

Very Funny, Elizabeth

Before Song-a-Day began I knew I was going to write a song with this title, which I borrowed from a book about the American Girl doll. The three words have a melodic quality to them already, imbued with a natural rhythm. It seemed like a good place to start.
The story of an Elizabeth who is a self-justified gold digger, well, I have my reasons but it's nothing to do with anyone in my life.
I'm not sure what genre the song ended up inhabiting. It started out as a soul/r&b tinged tune, but by the time I layered some instruments it had strayed a little.

I suppose this song is really a duet. The verses are sung by "Elizabeth" and the choruses by her hapless victim. The vocals were difficult, especially late at night when it's necessary to sing quietly.

The lyrics jump around a lot, but there is a narrative to the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment