Friday, February 17, 2012

Crawling up a pane of glass

I wrote a bass line, which was appealing. I played it for a while, then I decided I had better input it via MIDI so I could see what the time signature was. It turned out to be 4 bars of 7/8 and one of 6/8.
No, I declared, I'm not going to follow through with this. Instead I simplified the line so it would work in 4/4, then simplified again, and again, so it  ended up a basic one-note-per-measure line.
Since I had strayed so far from the original concept I decided to let this track be a 'tester' for a song I had planned for later called "Virtual Reality".
Eight hours later I had a dozen vocal tracks, layers of instrumental parts, and a puzzle that needed to be put together. Nothing ever ends up what it's supposed to be.
What's going on with the tracks: one looped drum tracked (comes in around the third bar or so - lots of high hat), one programmed drum track, bass line played on keyboard, arpeggiated highly effected guitar line, distorted guitar track, piano track. Oh, and a synth pad that makes an appearance now and then.
Lyrically this is pretty straightforward, a song about communication, and more specifically about that helpless feeling you get when someone brings up something they claim you said a long time ago. "It doesn't sound like me, but even if I did I take it back now." What else can you do?
It is purely coincidental that this song mentions a snail and earlier I wrote a song called slug. Go back to 2008 and you can find mention of nudibranchs in "Neutrally Buoyant". Maybe I do have an obsession with gastropods.

No comments:

Post a Comment