Thursday, February 9, 2012

Objectification

"Yes, I'm objectifying you right now. You're welcome."
I can't help but turn things upside down. The objectification of women; sure that's a not at all good thing when done indiscriminately, but I want to offer it up as a compliment.
What might seem at first listen to be a parody is in fact a fair example of writing what I'm feeling. Lacking in subtlety, explicit. I'll put that out there unapologetically. Don't we all want to feel that way?

I struggled putting this one up, as it's nothing like what I want it to be. My inspiration was the densely-layered work of P-Funk, and I despaired that I was completely incapable of laying down funky keyboard tracks - and also that I was still stuck with a guitar loop! Recording funky guitar parts, at night, to a click track, is well-nigh impossible. This is probably an indication that I won't be getting into session work anytime soon.
By the time I had laid down the vocal tracks I had rewritten the lyrics and improved the melodies and rhythms.
I wanted the song to be much, much, longer. It needed extended solo breaks and spoken passages.

It was late. But the premise of song-a-day is to put up fragments, works-in-progress, songs in any condition. So I bit the bullet and did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment