Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Work to do

This is an Orwellian take on a world without grace: both in the attitude of the narrator and in the world described. I wrote these word a few months ago, very quickly, and decided to use them without alteration.
The chaotic nature of the recording is due to layering parts with triplets and parts with duplets, and recording three vocal tracks more or less on the fly, paying little attention to the harmony they were creating.
I have trouble actually hearing harmony, so whenever I can do parts that have some shape on their own and some relation to the chords, that's fine by me. This kind of thing was going on among the more interesting composers of the Renaissance such as Gesualdo and Zarlino. That style died out in the late Renaissance and other more boring styles developed into the early Baroque, which is a shame.
This isn't to say I am influenced by Renaissance music. That would be a stretch.
This song is influenced, unconsciously till it was finished, by a video my daughter's class made. You can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFrP3XiQ-J8
I thought the chanted words made that whole video a little bit ominous and, well, Orwellian. Funny, but ominous. You know.

No comments:

Post a Comment